About This Course
In order to remain competitive in today’s globalised world, industries in Malaysia are rushing to implement Industrial 4.0 technologies in order to remain competitive with other countries such as China, Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. Industrial 4.0 promises efficient and fully automated product lines, accurate product inspection, real-time report generation, remote monitoring, control and troubleshooting, and many other benefits.
Autonomous robots, augmented reality and artificial intelligence are three key areas of Industrial 4.0 that is useful for performing production line automation, perform product inspections and other activities. New advances in machine vision technology is helping to expand the roles and scope of applications of these key areas. Machine vision is increasingly being used in the industry for performing measurement, inspection and testing due to rapid progress in image processing performance and reliability. Vision inspection systems have an advantage over other sensor-based systems due to its simplicity, cost-effectiveness in the long-run and ability to perform multiple tests and measurements with a single image, as compared to multiple sensors required for each individual measurement. The placement and orientation of the part also does not need to be as rigid as compared to a sensor-based solution.
The main purpose of this course is thus to provide an introduction to the basic theory and concepts of machine vision, from the viewpoint of a company in the medical product manufacturing sector, in order to give the right concept and understanding of machine vision to prepare participants for future training course on medical product inspection POC design and development.
Participants will first be introduced to the concept of Industrial 4.0 and machine vision, before discussing the business impact of machine vision to the manufacturing industry as well as various general applications of machine vision. The typical machine vision system hardware and software lineup will then be explained. The details of the components, settings, features and functions of each stage of the machine vision lineup will then be explained in detail in the following modules.
After the basics of machine vision system lineup has been covered, the various factors affecting machine vision system performance such as lighting, object and background characteristics, camera resolution, etc will then be discussed, as these can have a huge impact on the performance of the machine vision system in terms of accuracy, cost, etc.
The various application categories of machine vision in the industry and the features and specifications required by machine vision systems in each application category will then be explored. These will form the basis of forming the selection criteria for a machine vision system that will meet the requirements and specifications.
The course will then conclude by looking at industrial machine vision systems, covering topics such as the concept of recipe creation, different machine vision systems from different machine vision suppliers, programming methods used to create recipes for typical industrial machine systems, tools used when programming an industrial machine vision system and specific examples of machine vision applications in selected industries.
Upon a successful completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the important concepts of machine vision
- Explain the role of machine vision in Industrial 4.0 in terms of automation
- Gain essential fundamentals in machine vision for enrolling in future training course
- Get a better idea of machine vision programming methods
- Describe the various image acquisition devices and specifications used in vision inspection systems, as well as the machine vision parameters to be configured, set or tuned
- Understand the factors that affect the performance and accuracy of vision inspection systems such as brightness, focus, movement and resolution
- State and understand the different stages in a typical machine vision lineup
- Understand the process and algorithms used in different machine vision stages
- Understand the applications of machine vision in the industry
- Explain the selection criteria and typical features and specifications of existing machine vision systems
- List out basic parameters of image sensors, cameras and image processor, and how it affects the performance of the machine vision system
- Explain typical features and specifications of machine vision systems used in various industrial inspection applications
- Having used/worked with vision inspection/testing systems in the past would be an advantage
- Having an image processing or engineering background would be an advantage.
Anyone handling machine vision systems or interested in gaining knowledge about machine vision systems will find this course useful. In particular, this course will be particularly suited to:
- Anyone involved in process and operation improvement towards automated
- Anyone responsible for automating inspection processes
- Quality engineers, MIS personnel
- Introduction to Industrial 4.0, Autonomous Robots, Augmented Reality, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Vision
- Hardware Lineup for Industrial Autonomous Robot Eyes (Machine Vision Hardware)
- Software Technologies for Industrial Machine Vision
- Image Acquisition and Pre-processing
- Image Segmentation
- Image Classification with Artificial Intelligence Algorithms
- Factors Affecting Machine Vision System Performance
- Machine Vision System Features and Specifications
- Industrial Machine Vision Systems