- Proven experience as a machinist for the tooling department-related job function.
- Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (EDM, Wire Cut, lathes, grinders, etc.)
- Ability to use precision tools (e.g., calipers) to take accurate measurements Knowledge of the properties of metal and other material
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and manuals
- Review samples, drawings, or instructions to understand the specifications of the output
- Plan the sequence of necessary actions for the completion of a job
- Take measurements and mark material for cutting or shaping
- Select appropriate machines (e.g., lathes) and position or load material for a job
- Determine and program the size of batches, speed of the machine, etc.
- Monitor machine while working to adjust the feed, maintain temperature, and identify issues
- Check output to ensure consistency with specifications and discard defects.