One of the challenges while working on the IoT project is its learning curve at the perspective working with software and hardware. In this course we will cover all the design approach of 7 layers (Layer 1-Fog, Layer 2-Communication, Layer 3-Cloud, Layer 4-Big Data, Layer 5-Reporting, Layer 6-Custom Apps and Layer 7-Decision Making). Each of layers require you to hands on the actual embedded board, sensors, logic, protocols and cloud interfaces. As you learn, you will quickly understand how the development of the IoT works by immerse yourself from put ideas all togethers, bills of materials, connection and programming it.
We will walk through each layer through hands on activity to utilize the best embedded board today that is Raspberry Pi v3.0 (latest version). In details, The Raspberry Pi is a credit card sized single board computer originally designed to teach basic computer science. It has become a huge hit and has been used in hundreds of applications. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B was released in February 2016 with a 64 bit quad core processor, and has on-board WiFi, Bluetooth and USB boot capabilities, appeared with a faster 1.4 GHz processor and a 3 times faster network based on gigabit ethernet (300 Mbit / s) or 2.4 / 5 GHz dual-band Wi-Fi (100 Mbit / s). Other options are: Power over Ethernet (PoE), USB boot and network boot.
In this hands-on class, you will be given a Raspberry Pi starter kit and instructions on how to program your Raspberry Pi for all sorts of interesting applications. This class is about learning through doing and getting your hands dirty with this powerful little device. Specifically, you will learn how to setup your Pi, operating system driving the Pi, and to program to get the sensors data, temperature, control the motors and much more. You will learn the basic hardware connection, sensors, interface, programming, protocol like MQTT, and also the basic pushing data to cloud. You will learn how to transmit low packet of data via MQTT broker via devices firmware, sending JSON or XML sensor data, to the IoT console to linkage with IoT embedded platform. This to bring you closer on prototyping, we will put everything together in this course expand with programming examples, analytics and visualizations.
Additionally, you will learn about the various resources for help working with your Pi and finding accessories for the Pi. The Raspberry Pi IoT Development kit is yours to keep after class. This class is a great start introduction to kickstart prototype your IoT application immediately and then encourage you to be ready always the IoT development kit on your table to level up much more. After completing the course, you will be equipped with strong knowledge product development of IoT and that will level up your skills of knowing how it works with best method approach to develop IoT application.
By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Know what is the design layer for IoT product development.
- Know to work with embedded hardware controllers, sensors, relays, displays and much more.
- Know to code for embedded project and make things works from low level to high level application and able to understand details on how things work via connectivity and protocols
- Level up skill by practice. The course emphasizes hand on at every module to ensure deep understanding and interactive learning.
Target AudienceTechnical Executives and Engineering Executives
- Familiar with basic programming & with Internet technologies (like TCP/IP & HTTP) would help
- Basic knowledge in electronics is helpful but not mandatory
- No prior knowledge about the Internet of Things is required
- Students are encourage to combine with IoT Prototype Development kit package so they can later bring back to continue working with prototype.